Monday, December 24, 2012

Drunken Noodles by Jody

 I love Thai food, and this is one of the dishes that is a standard go-to dish when I try a new restaurant. I've found a recipe that I like and have made some adaptations to it, so this is a rough idea of my Drunken Noodles.



6 ounces of rice noodles
8 ounces of pork (you can use ground pork or pork strips, both are good)
2 cloves garlic, diced
1 large hot green chili, chopped
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 red pepper, diced
2 tbls kaffir lime leaves ( I use bottled, since fresh is almost impossible to find in Maine)
2 tbls soy sauce
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tomato, cut into wedges
2 tbsp fresh basil, shredded (I had to leave this out last time because I couldn't find any)




Cook the rice noodles according to the instructions on the noodles. If using pork strips, salt & pepper them, then stir fry for a couple minutes until they are just cooked. If using ground pork, stir fry the onions, garlic and chilis for about a minute before adding the pork and stir fry for an additional minute before adding the bell pepper. Stir fry about 2 minutes, then add the lime leaves, soy sauce and sugar. Lastly, add the drained noodles and tomatoes and stir to cover the noodles. Sprinkle with basil. Serve.

I've made this before and love it every time. This time, I added way too many noodles and it ended up not quite as good. So learn from my mistake and don't add too many noodles. Of course, that just means I'll have to make it again soon, and make it right the next time.

4 comments:

  1. I always enjoy your food-posts. This one looks interesting (so do a loft of them), but I don't have any rice noodles (at the moment). I'll try to rectify that post christmas.
    I prefer Hot&Sour soup to test new chinese restaurants. I haven't been to enough thai restaurants to have a "go to" food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've actually never had Hot & Sour soup. I think that's something I'll have to try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How are you with houseplants? Kaffir Lime makes a lovely little indoor tree (grow it potted outside in the summer). :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh, That sounds like something I have to try growing!

    ReplyDelete