Saturday, December 15, 2012

Pasta Carbonara - by Jody

This is one of my favorite dishes. Pasta, bacon, cheese, what's not to like. When I first started making this I used a totally different technique but I've since discovered that this works well as a skillet dish. I'm sure it has about a million calories, but I really don't care.





1/3 pound bacon
1/2 diced onion
Butter
1/2 cup chicken stock
Pasta
6 egg yokes
Cream
Parmesan Cheese
Basil
Pepper
Salt

Put some butter in a large skillet, add bacon, onion & some pepper. Cook until bacon is crisp but not overdone.  Do not drain the bacon fat.
Boil pasta while cooking bacon. When pasta is done, drain and then add directly to the skillet.
Add chicken stock & toss.
Combine egg yoke & cream, lightly beat to break up the yokes.
Take skillet off heat, add the yoke & cream and toss to coat.
Salt & Pepper to taste (this should be a peppery dish)
Sprinkle fresh basil and cheese on top.

You might have noticed that I add spinach to a lot of dishes. I'm a big fan of chopping up a cup or 2 and adding it for some extra nutrition with negligible calories. I chopped up about 2 cups of spinach and added it to the bacon & onions about 3 minutes before I put in the pasta. It wilts quickly so don't add it too early.

This dish doesn't take long to make, and once the pasta is added to the skillet, it comes together very quickly. The whole thing takes about 20 minutes to make so it's a favorite to both cook and eat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment