Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Chili - by Jody

I've made chili for decades, and each one is different depending on my mood and audience. This time I made it bean-less, but my basic recipe includes beans & beer. I can't tell you how many this feeds, but I'd say 10 easily.

3-4 large cans Contadina spaghetti sauce
3-4 small cans of Goya beans. I use black beans, but you can use your favorite.
2 large cans of crushed tomatoes
2 pounds of meat. I usually use one pound ground beef or pork and one pound Italian sausage
1 package Morningstar Farms veggie crumbles. You can replace all the meat with this for a veggie chili
1 large onion, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 cups spinach, chopped
Salt & Pepper to taste
Chili powder & cumin. I usually just start adding these until it tastes right. You can also use some of Auntie Arwen's spice mixes. Tonight I used Fiesta Dog because she has discontinued my favorite, which was Turkish Delight.
3 bottles Guinnesse. You can also use red wine instead of beer.

Top with cheese, diced onion and/or tortilla chips. 



No comments:

Post a Comment