Sunday, December 9, 2012

Thai Spring Rolls - by Jody



I love Thai food. Drunken Noodles, coconut milk based curry, seafood soups, and spring rolls. I love them all. This is my take on vegetarian spring rolls.

Since this was just for us, and not for company, I made about 8 rolls, but I like them stuffed full, so your mileage many vary.

1 package egg roll skins
2 oz fine rice noodles. I use Thai Kitchen.
Oil for frying
2 cloves glarlic
1/2 tsp grated ginger
2-3 scallions, sliced
1/2 cup spinach. Alternately you can use alfalfa or bean sprouts.
1 carrot, shreaded
1 tbls soy sauce
1 tbls rice wine
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 tbls cilantro, chopped
1 tbls mint, chopped

Cook noodles according to the package. Drain.
Fry garlic, ginger, scallion, spinach & carrot for about a minute. Stir in soy sauce, rice wine, pepper cilantro & mint. Stir in noodles and toss with the mixture. Take off heat and let cool a little.

Roll in the egg roll skins. Demos of the different techniques can be found on line, but here are pictures of my method. Use cornstarch & water to help the skins stick together and keep the rolls from falling apart.
Fry for about a minute on each side, or until golden brown. I eat them with sweet chili sauce, but you can use your favorite.











No comments:

Post a Comment