Monday, January 14, 2013

Restaurant Review - Cacciatore's in Fairfield


     What do the enterprising food bloggers do on Christmas Eve?  Go and do their shopping of course because they're too damn lazy or forgetful or have too much other stuff going on that they didn't get it done before then!  And what else do they do? Go eat lunch at one of their favorite restaurants in Waterville (Now Fairfield), Cacciatore's.

     Cacciatore's is an Italian restaurant that started in a strip mall on Kennedy Memorial Drive in Waterville, at least that's where we originally found and fell in love with it.  They have since moved into a building in Fairfield, and are still putting out amazing food.  This place is one of those places that more people should know about.

     We stopped for lunch on our way home from Christmas shopping and I decided to try a cheeseburger.  I know, I know "But Steve, you're raving on about how great an Italian place this is, and your order a Cheeseburger?  What the Hell is wrong with you?"  Well, I know about their Italian food thank you very much, and I know its fantastic, I don't need to eat it again to know that.  A burger, on the other hand, is easy to screw up and hard to do well, and I like to use them as a measuring stick.  And man did they do well.  The burger came out with onions UNDER the cheese, so the cheese melted and held the onions on firmly, LOVE that, and they didn't use a burger bun, they used a length of garlic bread instead.  And not just the bread they use to make their garlic bread, the actual garlic bread, which gave more layers of flavor to the burger.  The fries were hand cut and also excellent, there just weren't enough of them.

     Service has always been great, very friendly and comfortable.  They don't hover like some places do, but they certainly don't forget about you either.  You don't quite feel like family, but you feel pretty damn welcome.  Cacciatore's deserves more attention than they're getting.  I'd hate to see a great place sink because not enough people knew them or their food.  If you are in the Waterville area, find them, and eat their food.  They could use the business, and I sincerely hope we can give them a bump here.  My rating of Cacciatore's is a solid 4.75 out of 5 stars in my opinion.  Go find these folks.  They really are great.

I really hate to break the flow of Steve's review, so I'm putting my comments at the end. This is a great little place that serves some very nice food. I kinda got spoiled living in New Jersey because of the very hardcore Italian food I could get there, but for Central Maine, this is easily the best Italian food I've had. 


I also had the French Onion soup, which I love, and Insalada Caprase. I know that the caprase is out of season, but I wanted to see what they would do with it. I was surprised at how good it was. Both the tomato and basil tasted very fresh which was a pleasant surprise. 

I'm going to give the food a 4 and the service a 5. Please try this place, I think you'll enjoy it.   

1 comment: