Thursday, November 22, 2012

Faux Pho` by Steve


Faux Pho`

     Having watched more than my share of food television, and being a huge fan of Anthony Bourdain, it goes without saying I've seen a lot of his overseas travels.  One of the dishes he keeps going back to time and time again is Pho`, a Vietnamese soup-like thing.  On the surface, it seems pretty straightforward, but not ever having had real Pho` myself, I can't be sure of the flavor profiles.  So I make what Jody called "Faux Pho`".  I especially like to make this when I'm sick, as it is that sort of comfort food that many like to lean on when they feel like crap.  The soup itself is pretty simple, but it's the add-ons you do to it after you serve it up that makes it special.  I like mine with a ton of hot chili sauce to give it a real spicy kick.


Faux Pho`
2 quarts chicken stock
1lb. ground pork
1 bunch scallions
1 medium/small piece ginger root
1 head garlic
2-3 big handfuls spinach, chopped roughly
salt
pepper
garlic powder
onion powder
Chinese 5 spice powder
Auntie Arwyn's Shy Panda Stir Fry spice mix
1 package Soba buckwheat noodles


     Start the chicken stock on medium low to bring it to temperature.  Brown the ground pork, seasoning to taste with all seasonings listed.  Once browned, add the pork to the stock and leave that to simmer slowly.  Finely chop the scallions and garlic and add those to the stock.  Peel and grate the ginger root into the soup. Add the spinach, stirring occasionally.  Check for seasoning, adjusting as needed.  I needed to put more salt in than I expected, so plan for that.  In a separate pot, prepare the Soba noodles according to instructions on their package.  To serve put noodles into your bowl then ladle the soup over them.  At this point, the gloves come off to an extent.  Jody likes lime and sweet chili sauce in her Pho`, I prefer hot chili sauce, and a lot of it.  Enjoy!

1 comment: